[TR] TR4 Steering Update

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 Steering Update
From: "LBC.Resto" <lbc.resto@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:56:40 -0400
After the steering rack "freshening" was finished I decided to splurge on a
4-wheel laser alignment to see how everything is actually situated and to
give myself some future datum points. The local Goodyear place actually had
the car in their laser alignment computer.

I got the Toe-in set and learned a couple of interesting things. Firstly,
while my caster was correct on one side it is out on the other; I had it all
apart before and didn't notice any damage. Also, my rear axle is slightly
twisted around causing a small + toe on one side and a corresponding - toe
on the other; +/- 0.3 of a degree. This explains why I couldn't set the
string equal when I was trying to do a string alignment. I had taken the
axle out when the car came out of the barn. It looks like I can reset it
just by loosening and re-tightening the bolts after giving it a "technical
tap" to pivot it around slightly.

The steering is now nice and tight and the car tucks into tight bends very
nicely. Also, the drive back showed the car to be much less twitchy at speed
now it was negative tow and not positive as it was before.

Any thoughts on the caster discrepancy?

--
Ian
62 TR4