Re: [TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

To: terryrs@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 01:45:23 -0600
terryrs@comcast.net wrote:
> Not sure I'd like the idea of turning off the engine in that situation.B
> Wouldn't the power assists to the brakes quit?B

Well, one has to consider some simple factors.  First, the power assist
works as long as there's engine vacuum, so, there would still be some
power assist as the engine wound down. Second, the brakes still work,
even without assist. Braking just requires more physical effort
(something I would think would be in abundance in a frightening
situation).  Third, the engine horsepower at high rpm and full throttle,
combined with the kinetic energy of the car going at that speed, is
going to greatly exceed the power of the brakes to slow the car (even if
assisted).

The fundamental problem in such an instance is that the engine is
powerful enough to exceed braking power and to bring the car to
dangerous speeds on a typical highway. Therefore, the basic problem to
be corrected is engine power. Without correcting that primary problem
first, no amount of braking (primarily because of brake fade) fixes the
real problem.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net