Re: [TR] Working under your car.

To: "'spook01@comcast.net'" <spook01@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Working under your car.
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@indiefilmnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:41:00 -0500
About 20 years ago I remember seeing a magazine article about a kit that was
used in developing countries where journeyman mechanics could not possibly
afford a hoist/lift. They had a couple of rails looking much like big skate
blades; flat on the bottom and curving up on one end. Each rail had two big
brackets sticking up from the flat section. The mechanic put the rails under
the car (laterally) and then jacked up each corner, removed the wheel and
bolted the appropriate rail bracket onto the hub. Once up in the air, looking
very much like a sled with the skis on sideways, the car was just rolled onto
its side. Apparently two people could do it with ease and one with practice.

I guess the fluids had to be drained from the engine before rolling, but I
recall thinking that would be a very nice setup for working on the underside
of the car in cleanup and big jobs where an hour or so to lift the machine
would be justifiable.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6