Re: [TR] [6pack] Master Cylinder Rebuild

To: Robert Rochlin <rrochlin@comcast.net>, Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] [6pack] Master Cylinder Rebuild
From: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 09:39:22 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: list Triumph <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net

------=_Part_289464_501055927.1589733562871

If a new master cylinder is available, why bother with trying to rebuild an=
 old one? I know that a rebuild kit is just a few dollars, but sending it o=
ff to have it rebuilt adds a lot to the cost.  I have never rebuilt a maste=
r that was available new.  Time is money and bent panels and paint repair a=
re too, beside being dangerous.  I learned very early in my mechanic learni=
ng to renew the brake fluid at least on an annual basis.  This saves compon=
ents from failure and adds long life to them.  Wilwood and others make exce=
llent replacement masters for the TR3 and they are at the most $80 new.  At=
 this cost, it does not make sense to rebuild one.  I understand the TR6 ha=
s a different style master and may be more costly.=20
Good luck for good brakes.=20
Dave H.

> On May 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Robert Rochlin <rrochlin@comcast.net> wrote:
>=20
>     Hi Richard,
>     I sent my m/c off to a reputable (I thought ) rebuilder for a complet=
e rebuild and installed it back installed it in the TR6.  As I recall it wo=
rked fine for a short time and then on day I was puling out of the garage a=
nd the brakes totally failed.  The TR6 rolled int my P/U truck dented the d=
oor, and pushed in the front o the Tr6 hood. A very expensive afternoon. I =
sent the m/c back to the rebuilder as I had time to kill while the body sho=
p fixed the TR6.  They rebuilt the m/c again gratis and I reinstalled it.  =
After about 8 months the m/c started to fail again, but slowly=E2=80=A6 I r=
eplaced it with a new Girling and it has gone several seasons working fine =
but now I=E2=80=99m getting the slow sinking pedal. Before replacing it aga=
in I am going to replace the seals myself.
>       Although I=E2=80=99ve had good luck with several rebuilt components=
 including starters, carburetors, shocks, and distributers,  I=E2=80=99ll n=
ever send a master cylinder to a rebuilder again.
dolindsay@gmail.com mailto:richardolindsay@gmail.com > wrote:
> >=20
> >         Hello Bob, et al.,
> >=20
> >            Glad you're well. Here is south Texas we too are relaxing th=
e stay-at-home order and the older people (like me) are beginning to ventur=
e out, if still maintaining safe separation. The 'younglings' seem to think=
 an All Clear has been sounded and they're back face to face. I wish them l=
uck.
> >=20
> >            I have had two, fresh from the box,  M/Cs fail then a third,=
 working fine. I don't wish to directly name and disparage the vendor since=
 they are always quite willing to make things right, but their name does gr=
ow on the 'north side of the tree'. The question I ponder and why I am writ=
ing is to ask is: How did your M/Cs fail?
> >            In one of my unit's failures, fresh from the box, the front =
brake circuit worked fine (that's the one closer to the booster) but the re=
ar brake circuit would flow no fluid. The second unit would flow no fluid t=
hrough either circuit! The third M/C worked perfectly and still works great=
 today!
> >=20
> >            Did I get two poorly or incorrectly rebuilt cylinders? Someo=
ne in China just make mistakes? Did I do something wrong? Thus I ask: How d=
id your M/C "fail catastrophically?"
autox.team.net mailto:6pack@autox.team.net > wrote:
> >=20
> >             > > > I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well in=
 this time of quarantine.  It down=E2=80=99t look like here in Massachusett=
s the stay at home order will be  completely lifted for several of more wee=
ks, but some business slowly are beginning to be be allowed to reopen.
> > >                     I=E2=80=99ve had a checkered history with master =
cylinders. In the past I=E2=80=99ve sent m/c off to be rebuilt by reputable=
 rebuilders only to have them catastrophically fail soon after reinstallati=
on.  I=E2=80=99m figuring that I can improve on that record.  When I went t=
o the Buckeye Triumph site to review the rebuild process the article recomm=
ended red grease.  I don=E2=80=99t have any, but I do have Volvo silicone b=
reaks grease.  In the absence of red brake grease can I just apply brake fl=
uid as lubricant to do the rebuild or should i bite the bullet and get the =
red brake grease.  About the only red grease I could fine was on Amazon and=
 it was pretty pricey, $16.00 plus $8.00 shipping.
/6pack/richardolindsay@gmail.com
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >         > >=20
> >     >=20
>     ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>=20
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/a=
rchive
>=20
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dl=
hogye@comcast.net
>=20

------=_Part_289464_501055927.1589733562871

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
 color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   If a new master cylinder is available, why bother with trying to rebuild=
 an old one? I know that a rebuild kit is just a few dollars, but sending i=
t off to have it rebuilt adds a lot to the cost.&nbsp; I have never rebuilt=
 a master that was available new.&nbsp; Time is money and bent panels and p=
aint repair are too, beside being dangerous.&nbsp; I learned very early in =
my mechanic learning to renew the brake fluid at least on an annual basis.&=
nbsp; This saves components from failure and adds long life to them.&nbsp; =
Wilwood and others make excellent replacement masters for the TR3 and they =
are at the most $80 new.&nbsp; At this cost, it does not make sense to rebu=
ild one.&nbsp; I understand the TR6 has a different style master and may be=
 more costly.&nbsp;=20
 color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Good luck for good brakes.&nbsp;
 color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Dave H.
   On May 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Robert Rochlin &lt;rrochlin@comcast.net&gt; w=
rote:=20
    I sent my m/c off to a reputable (I thought ) rebuilder for a complete =
rebuild and installed it back installed it in the TR6. &nbsp;As I recall it=
 worked fine for a short time and then on day I was puling out of the garag=
e and the brakes totally failed. &nbsp;The TR6 rolled int my P/U truck dent=
ed the door, and pushed in the front o the Tr6 hood. A very expensive after=
noon. I sent the m/c back to the rebuilder as I had time to kill while the =
body shop fixed the TR6. &nbsp;They rebuilt the m/c again gratis and I rein=
stalled it. &nbsp;After about 8 months the m/c started to fail again, but s=
lowly=E2=80=A6 I replaced it with a new Girling and it has gone several sea=
sons working fine but now I=E2=80=99m getting the slow sinking pedal. Befor=
e replacing it again I am going to replace the seals myself.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;Although I=E2=80=99ve had good luck with several rebuilt co=
mponents including starters, carburetors, shocks, and distributers, &nbsp;I=
=E2=80=99ll never send a master cylinder to a rebuilder again.
    Best,
    Bob=20
       On May 17, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Richard Lindsay &lt;=20
       <a class=3D"" href=3D"mailto:richardolindsay@gmail.com";>richardolind=
say@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:
         Hello Bob,=20
         <em class=3D"">et al.</em>,
          &nbsp; &nbsp;Glad you're well. Here is south Texas we too are rel=
axing the stay-at-home order and the older people (like me) are beginning t=
o venture out, if still maintaining safe separation. The 'younglings' seem =
to think an=20
          <em class=3D"">All Clear</em> has been sounded and they're back f=
ace to face. I wish them luck.
          &nbsp; &nbsp;I have had two, fresh from the box,&nbsp; M/Cs fail =
then a third, working fine. I don't wish to directly name and disparage the=
 vendor since they are always quite willing to make things right, but their=
 name does grow on the 'north side of the tree'. The question I ponder and =
why I am writing is to ask is: How did your M/Cs fail?
          &nbsp; &nbsp;In one of my unit's failures, fresh from the box, th=
e front brake circuit worked fine (that's the one closer to the booster) bu=
t the rear brake circuit would flow no fluid. The second unit would flow no=
 fluid through either circuit! The third M/C worked perfectly and still wor=
ks great today!
          &nbsp; &nbsp;Did I get two poorly or incorrectly rebuilt cylinder=
s? Someone in China just make mistakes? Did I do something wrong? Thus I as=
k: How did your M/C "fail catastrophically?"
           On Sun, May 17, 2020, 6:38 AM Robert Rochlin via 6pack &lt;=20
           <a class=3D"" href=3D"mailto:6pack@autox.team.net";>6pack@autox.t=
eam.net</a>&gt; wrote:=20
           I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well in this time =
of quarantine.&nbsp; It down=E2=80=99t look like here in Massachusetts the =
stay at home order will be&nbsp; completely lifted for several of more week=
s, but some business slowly are beginning to be be allowed to reopen.=20
heckered history with master cylinders. In the past I=E2=80=99ve sent m/c o=
ff to be rebuilt by reputable rebuilders only to have them catastrophically=
 fail soon after reinstallation.&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m figuring that I can impr=
ove on that record.&nbsp; When I went to the Buckeye Triumph site to review=
 the rebuild process the article recommended red grease.&nbsp; I don=E2=80=
=99t have any, but I do have Volvo silicone breaks grease.&nbsp; In the abs=
ence of red brake grease can I just apply brake fluid as lubricant to do th=
e rebuild or should i bite the bullet and get the red brake grease.&nbsp; A=
bout the only red grease I could fine was on Amazon and it was pretty price=
y, $16.00 plus $8.00 shipping.=20
appreciated.=20
=20
           <a class=3D"" href=3D"http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a>=20
           <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/dona=
te.html" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>=20
           <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/arch=
ive" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/archive</a>=20
           <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/foru=
ms" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/forums</a>=20
           <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:6pack@autox.team.=
net" rel=3D"noopener">6pack@autox.team.net</a>=20
           <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/ma=
fo/6pack</a>=20
           <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/ma=
ilman/options/6pack/richardolindsay@gmail.com" rel=3D"noopener">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/richardolindsay@gmail.com</a>=20
archive=20
lhogye@comcast.net=20
olor: #333333;" class=3D"default-style">
------=_Part_289464_501055927.1589733562871--

--===============8140886968461328908==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============8140886968461328908==--