Re: [TR] [6pack] Master Cylinder Rebuild

To: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] [6pack] Master Cylinder Rebuild
From: Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 12:58:51 -0500
Cc: list Triumph <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net, Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>

--0000000000003e1f9005a5dbcd2d

Why bother to rebuild an old one when new ones are available?  I like the
finish on the original Girling master cylinders, and I trust a
brass-sleeved original more than a modern Chinese knockoff.  The price for
something I'll likely do once in my life isn't a big consideration.  That
my car still has the master cylinders it was build with makes me happy.

But Standard-Triumph always appealed to "frugal" owners, so I get that a
simple drop-in chinesium replica will be attractive to many owners.

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
>   Although I=E2=80=99ve had good luck with several rebuilt components inc=
luding
> starters, carburetors, shocks, and distributers,  I=E2=80=99ll never send=
 a master
> cylinder to a rebuilder again.
> Best,
> Bob
>
> On May 17, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Richard Lindsay < richardolindsay@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Bob, *et al.*,
>
>    Glad you're well. Here is south Texas we too are relaxing the
> stay-at-home order and the older people (like me) are beginning to ventur=
> out, if still maintaining safe separation. The 'younglings' seem to think
> an *All Clear* has been sounded and they're back face to face. I wish
> them luck.
>
>    I have had two, fresh from the box,  M/Cs fail then a third, working
> fine. I don't wish to directly name and disparage the vendor since they a=
re
> always quite willing to make things right, but their name does grow on th=
> 'north side of the tree'. The question I ponder and why I am writing is t=
> ask is: How did your M/Cs fail?
>    In one of my unit's failures, fresh from the box, the front brake
> circuit worked fine (that's the one closer to the booster) but the rear
> brake circuit would flow no fluid. The second unit would flow no fluid
> through either circuit! The third M/C worked perfectly and still works
> great today!
>
>    Did I get two poorly or incorrectly rebuilt cylinders? Someone in Chin=
> just make mistakes? Did I do something wrong? Thus I ask: How did your M/=
> "fail catastrophically?"
>
> -rick
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2020, 6:38 AM Robert Rochlin via 6pack <
> 6pack@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well in this time of
> quarantine.  It down=E2=80=99t look like here in Massachusetts the stay a=
t home
> order will be  completely lifted for several of more weeks, but some
> business slowly are beginning to be be allowed to reopen.
>         I=E2=80=99ve had a checkered history with master cylinders. In th=
e past
> I=E2=80=99ve sent m/c off to be rebuilt by reputable rebuilders only to h=
ave them
> catastrophically fail soon after reinstallation.  I=E2=80=99m figuring th=
at I can
> improve on that record.  When I went to the Buckeye Triumph site to revie=
> the rebuild process the article recommended red grease.  I don=E2=80=99t =
have any,
> but I do have Volvo silicone breaks grease.  In the absence of red brake
> grease can I just apply brake fluid as lubricant to do the rebuild or
> should i bite the bullet and get the red brake grease.  About the only re=
> grease I could fine was on Amazon and it was pretty pricey, $16.00 plus

le?=C2=A0 I like the finish on the original Girling master cylinders, and I=
 trust a brass-sleeved original more than a modern Chinese knockoff.=C2=A0 =
The price for something I&#39;ll likely do once in my life isn&#39;t a big =
consideration.=C2=A0 That my car still has the master cylinders it was buil=
led=C2=A0to &quot;frugal&quot; owners, so I get=C2=A0that a simple drop-in =
ass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, May 17, 2=
020 at 11:46 AM DAVE HOGYE &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dlhogye@comcast.net";>dlhog=
yle=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padd=
ing-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
  =20
=20
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   If a new master cylinder is available, why bother with trying to rebuild=
 an old one? I know that a rebuild kit is just a few dollars, but sending i=
t off to have it rebuilt adds a lot to the cost.=C2=A0 I have never rebuilt=
 a master that was available new.=C2=A0 Time is money and bent panels and p=
aint repair are too, beside being dangerous.=C2=A0 I learned very early in =
my mechanic learning to renew the brake fluid at least on an annual basis.=
=C2=A0 This saves components from failure and adds long life to them.=C2=A0=
 Wilwood and others make excellent replacement masters for the TR3 and they=
 are at the most $80 new.=C2=A0 At this cost, it does not make sense to reb=
uild one.=C2=A0 I understand the TR6 has a different style master and may b=
e more costly.=C2=A0=20
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   Good luck for good brakes.=C2=A0
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   Dave H.
   On May 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Robert Rochlin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rrochlin=
@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">rrochlin@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:=20
    I sent my m/c off to a reputable (I thought ) rebuilder for a complete =
rebuild and installed it back installed it in the TR6.=C2=A0 As I recall it=
 worked fine for a short time and then on day I was puling out of the garag=
e and the brakes totally failed.=C2=A0 The TR6 rolled int my P/U truck dent=
ed the door, and pushed in the front o the Tr6 hood. A very expensive after=
noon. I sent the m/c back to the rebuilder as I had time to kill while the =
body shop fixed the TR6.=C2=A0 They rebuilt the m/c again gratis and I rein=
stalled it.=C2=A0 After about 8 months the m/c started to fail again, but s=
lowly=E2=80=A6 I replaced it with a new Girling and it has gone several sea=
sons working fine but now I=E2=80=99m getting the slow sinking pedal. Befor=
e replacing it again I am going to replace the seals myself.
    =C2=A0=C2=A0Although I=E2=80=99ve had good luck with several rebuilt co=
mponents including starters, carburetors, shocks, and distributers, =C2=A0I=
=E2=80=99ll never send a master cylinder to a rebuilder again.
    Best,
    Bob=20
       On May 17, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Richard Lindsay &lt;=20
rdolindsay@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:
         Hello Bob,=20
         <em>et al.</em>,
          =C2=A0 =C2=A0Glad you&#39;re well. Here is south Texas we too are=
 relaxing the stay-at-home order and the older people (like me) are beginni=
ng to venture out, if still maintaining safe separation. The &#39;youngling=
s&#39; seem to think an=20
          <em>All Clear</em> has been sounded and they&#39;re back face to =
face. I wish them luck.
          =C2=A0 =C2=A0I have had two, fresh from the box,=C2=A0 M/Cs fail =
then a third, working fine. I don&#39;t wish to directly name and disparage=
 the vendor since they are always quite willing to make things right, but t=
heir name does grow on the &#39;north side of the tree&#39;. The question I=
 ponder and why I am writing is to ask is: How did your M/Cs fail?
          =C2=A0 =C2=A0In one of my unit&#39;s failures, fresh from the box=
, the front brake circuit worked fine (that&#39;s the one closer to the boo=
ster) but the rear brake circuit would flow no fluid. The second unit would=
 flow no fluid through either circuit! The third M/C worked perfectly and s=
till works great today!
          =C2=A0 =C2=A0Did I get two poorly or incorrectly rebuilt cylinder=
s? Someone in China just make mistakes? Did I do something wrong? Thus I as=
k: How did your M/C &quot;fail catastrophically?&quot;
           On Sun, May 17, 2020, 6:38 AM Robert Rochlin via 6pack &lt;=20
autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:=20
           I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well in this time =
of quarantine.=C2=A0 It down=E2=80=99t look like here in Massachusetts the =
stay at home order will be=C2=A0 completely lifted for several of more week=
s, but some business slowly are beginning to be be allowed to reopen.=20
story with master cylinders. In the past I=E2=80=99ve sent m/c off to be re=
built by reputable rebuilders only to have them catastrophically fail soon =
after reinstallation.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m figuring that I can improve on that=
 record.=C2=A0 When I went to the Buckeye Triumph site to review the rebuil=
d process the article recommended red grease.=C2=A0 I don=E2=80=99t have an=
y, but I do have Volvo silicone breaks grease.=C2=A0 In the absence of red =
brake grease can I just apply brake fluid as lubricant to do the rebuild or=
 should i bite the bullet and get the red brake grease.=C2=A0 About the onl=
y red grease I could fine was on Amazon and it was pretty pricey, $16.00 pl=
us $8.00 shipping.=20
.=20
get=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>=20
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>=20