Tow Vehicle

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tow Vehicle
From: Michael Frank <mfrank@westnet.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 20:14:49 -0400
This list has been pretty quiet lately. Here's a little problem I'm working
on, perhaps some of you can help.

My car will (finally!) be ready  at the end of this month, and I'm doing a
quick hunt for a tow vehicle. I have the loan of a trailer for the rest of
this season. I don't know all the particulars, but it weighs in at about
3500lbs, including a well stocked tool box, and has electric brakes :-).
The car is around 2200, which means I need a vehicle that can pull a
6,000lb load. My thinking is to buy a decent used truck, at least for this
year, and either rework it over the winter, or replace it with something
better when I have more time.

After giving it some thought, I think the best bet is a Chevy something,
with a 350 engine. I figure the 350 is as generic as it gets, if it breaks,
you can probably find a spare at any hardware store, in the "crate motor"
aisle. My question is, how heavy a truck will I need? I'm certain a
Suburban or Yukon would work fine, but could I get away with something a
little smaller, like a Blazer? And would it be possible to use something
cooler, like a short bed Stepside,  El Camino or Impala SS? Is a high stall
torque converter desirable? What rear axle?

Thanks,
Mike Frank