Re: Tow Vehicle

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <tshirley@vol.com>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:58:55 -0400
Tom,

We tow about 4-5000# with a 2 wheel drive, 4 liter Explorer w/ towing package.
Trailer is a 16 ft. enclosed, Haul-Lite Car Vault, which unfortunately is no
longer made. Trailer height is not enough to stand fully erect, but when
towing, it doesn't act like a parachute either. The Lotus Eleven is a tight
squeeze, width wise, but the Formula cars are very easy to get around once
inside. One other aspect of trailer design that no one thinks about is axle
placement. The axles on the Haul Lite are noticeably behind center. This helps
insure enough tongue weight and also makes the center of pressure of the side
area in front of the axles, which I think contributes a lot to stability when
being passed by a semi. I also use stabilizer bars. Here in the east, there
are some long climbs where we'll be down to 50MPH, but on the flat we'll be
very stable at 70-75. We've also towed out west with our 1st Explorer, even up
the eastern entrance to Yosemite, on the way to Monterey Historics. It didn't
set any speed records up that climb to 10,000 ft, but the 17-18 MPG helped a
lot on the long tow. Oh, we also traded out the Firestones for Goodyears to be
safe.

This decision of tow vehicles was also heavily influenced by my wife, since
she drives it for daily transport. Parking spaces are pretty small at Ohio
State and that ruled out the Expedition or larger.

BTW, if you're looking for a used vehicle, there is a build sticker inside the
door jam of Ford vehicles, which gives axle codes. This is the clue for
"trailer tow package". The owners manual then explains the codes. Look in the
book near the section on "towing".

Roger