Re: Tow Vehicle

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: "Mike Cobine" <mcobine@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 02:39:57 -0400
ROFL.  I know you are in jest, but it makes a great tow vehicle, if you are
handy with a wrench.  Drop a new 350 in it, shift-kit the tranny, bondo the
rust, and you have room to haul everyone and everything inside and the looks
that prevent anyone in a motel lot from ever thinking twice about stealing
your vehicle.  It also gives you a place to nap at the track and build SUs
out of the sand or rain.

Good tow vehicles are what you make out of them, and what your needs are.

Since '79, I have had:

T1 = 15 ft open trailer 1800 lbs. + various cars from 2500 lb to 4300 lbs.
T2 = 24 ft enclosed trailer 2800 lb + 2700 to 3700 lb car + tools for
average of 8000 lbs and occasionally 10,000 lbs.

76 Suburban 3/4 ton, 350, 350 Turbo, 3.73 with T1
75 Chevy van C10 350, 350 turbo, 3.08 with T1
78 Chevy van C20 350, 350 turbo, 3.08  with T1 and T2  (275,000 when sold)
85 Suburban 3/4 ton 350, 400 Turbo, 3.73  with T2 (225,000 when sold)
89 Chevy van C20 conversion high top, 350 TBI, 700R4, 3.08 with T2. (only at
140,000)

I like some HP because I hate driving 55 down the road.  The '89 is a bit
anemic but it towed about 70-75 from Illinois this last week with around
8000 lbs on back (T2).  It only got down to 45 at Mont Eagle so that isn't
too bad.  The '85 I woke up coming back from Roebling one night while my
crew was driving, glanced at the speedo at 85, cinched my belt a bit
tighter, and went back to sleep.

Friends have towed with the full-sized Blazers and Broncos for years, not
the mini SUVs.  Let's face it, if a 4 cylinder gets put in one, dropping a
V-8 in it ain't gonna make it a semi.  You have to start with a full-sized
platform to have the braking and handling.

One thing to think about on engines.  If you ever tow across mountains, you
will need every pony you have.  As you slow down, the engine works harder,
generating more heat.  Even a normally cool engine will overheat if there
are not enough ponies and if left in that mode too long, like struggling at
30 up a mountain.  If it barfs on the way up, you could find your wallet
$4000 lighter at the top.  Think about that carefully before checking
engines on the order list.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3000/trailer3.html

You will find a lot of food for thought.

When I look for a tow vehicle, I open the hood or the glove box to read the
option list.  Then I look for the rear axle, heavy duty suspension, and so
on.  I prefer the higher rears (3.08 vs. 3.70 with 15 inch wheels / 3.73 vs.
4.11 with 16 inch) because the torque converter in the auto makes up for the
higher ratio in a very limited amount of towing - the start.  The rest of
the time is rolling a lot of concrete under me to wherever, and it is rarely
only 50 miles away.