Re: Tow Vehicle

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <brian@uunet.ca>, <mfrank@westnet.com>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:16:02 -0400
How do you get 5000# in a 20" trailer? With so little side exposure area, you
probably don't worry much about being passed by semis( articulated lorries).
HA!

>>> Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca> 07/04/01 09:18AM >>>
Allow me to once again cast my vote for the full sized van as the perfectt
 ow vehicle.  I'm using a 2000 Chev Express with 350 engine to pull a 20"b
 ox trailer that probably comes in at 5,000 - 6,000 lbs on the road.  We
towed home from Mosport on Sunday in gusty winds up to 50 mph, according tot
 he weather radio, at speeds up to 80 mph, and it was one finger control ont
 he steering wheel (if I'd wanted to drive with one finger, which I of
course do not!)   I have the 2500 series 12 passenger model (two rear seatsl
 ive full time in the garage) but the 12 passenger model actually gets theh
 eavy duty transmission and the entry level 3500 rear suspension, which
helps a lot.

These vans have been out there since 1996 or so, so you may be able to findo
 ne used.

Brian

At 08:14 PM 7/3/01 -0400, Michael Frank wrote:
>This list has been pretty quiet lately. Here's a little problem I'm working
>on, perhaps some of you can help.
>
>My car will (finally!) be ready  at the end of this month, and I'm doing a
>quick hunt for a tow vehicle. I have the loan of a trailer for the rest of
>this season. I don't know all the particulars, but it weighs in at about
>3500lbs, including a well stocked tool box, and has electric brakes :-).
>The car is around 2200, which means I need a vehicle that can pull a
>6,000lb load. My thinking is to buy a decent used truck, at least for this
>year, and either rework it over the winter, or replace it with something
>better when I have more time.
>
>After giving it some thought, I think the best bet is a Chevy something,
>with a 350 engine. I figure the 350 is as generic as it gets, if it breaks,
>you can probably find a spare at any hardware store, in the "crate motor"
>aisle. My question is, how heavy a truck will I need? I'm certain a
>Suburban or Yukon would work fine, but could I get away with something a
>little smaller, like a Blazer? And would it be possible to use something
>cooler, like a short bed Stepside,  El Camino or Impala SS? Is a high stall
>torque converter desirable? What rear axle?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike Frank

Brian Evans
Director, Canada