Re: questions about eye glasses?

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: questions about eye glasses?
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:28:40 EST
In a message dated 11/22/02 2:17:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cfchrist@earthlink.net writes:

> saturday morning i have an eye doctor's appt.  my distance vision is fine
> but i'm in need of *cringe* what my wife tells mre are bi-focals.  the
> question is what types of prescription lenses are those of you who wear
> corrective lenses using.
> i have always insisted in glass lenses so i do not scratch them or get any
> harsh chemicals on them ruining the clarity of the lenses.
> anyone reccomend plastic lenses?   i have not needed new glasses in over 5
> years.   so i'm curious about other's opinions

Chuck,

Don't worry. I have been wearing bifocals for 15 years or so. The real
breakthrough was 5 years ago getting the progressive ones with no line. They
are almost infinately corrective. It does take a little getting used to but I
can find a portion of the lens that works at almost any focal length. It
doesn't take long before it is automatic. As with any bifocal you will have
to adjust when looking down because the floor or steps will appear at a
different spot than they really are. Again, you get used to it.

I have no trouble in a race car at speed or in the shop under a car.

Absolutely get glass. The way you and I work, plastic will last two weeks. It
scares me to look at all the divets in my three year old glass lenses.
Without them I would have shot my eye out a long time ago. I also like photo
gray that changes dark to light with the sun.

Good luck.

Jack Woehrle