Re: questions about eye glasses?

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: questions about eye glasses?
From: "Tom Phelan" <tomph@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:59:00 -0500
I had bi-focals and decided to try the progressives this time around.
Couldn't stand them at first and actually was ready to go back to my old
bi-focals. The very narrow reading area drove me nuts as well as the
distortion Jack mentioned in an earlier reply. I also found that if I held a
straight edge (yard stick or such) out in front of me just below center eye
level it will appear to be bent down on the ends. Stuck with them though and
find them very comfortable now. Actually took almost 3 weeks to get there
though.

Now, no problem at all and never did have a problem with driving. When I
weld I use a pair of $3 mag glasses from the drug store so I can see through
the helmet window without having to tilt my head back. A little annoying
having to switch but it works very well.

I also have been using the light weight frames with plastic lens and scratch
resistant coating from lens crafters. They stand up very well if you take
reasonable amount of care. They're also so light you can forget you have
them on. I forgot one day and had my helmet half-way off before I realized I
still had them on. Not a smart move.

All in all not bad when you consider the alternatives. I'd get them again
next time around.

Tom P
Hendersonville NC
67 Datsun Roadster