RE: Head and Neck Safety Devices

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Head and Neck Safety Devices
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:34:33 EDT
Erich:

Having done some research in this area, and worked for a time in the
occupant restraints business (airbag components), I HIGHLY RECOMMEND such a
device
for ANY and ALL types of racing.

I have not raced in a couple of years myself, but plan to acquire a HANS
device before I go back out again.  I view it as insurance.  What is  your life
worth?  I would hope you think its worth at least the $1600 or so  it costs?
You'd easily spend that much on wheels or some other  performance accessory,
I'd suspect.

All of the reports I've read on the HANS to date are favorable.  I  cannot
comment on the other alternatives, other than to say they all have thier
pluses
and minuses.

I have personally witnessed some potentially serious neck-injury accidents
in vintage racing, and many of us know of several who have unfortunately
experienced a life-changing neck injury accident.  Don't become the next
statistic.

My advice....do absolutely everything you can to protect yourself to the
greatest extent possible, within reason.   In my opinon, this  includes:

3 piece NOMEX (or equivalent) suit with a maximum fire rating (beyond the
minimum requirements of your particular sanctioning body).

NOMEX underwear

NOMEX shoes/socks

NOMEX gloves

A FULL FACE helmet (yes, even in a closed car).

A HANS Device or equivalent.  And if you can't do that, then a  horsecollar
as the minimum.

An on-board fire system for the interior AND the engine compartment.

Well-marked Master Power Switch

Belts inspected regularly (but sorry, I still don't believe they must be
changed every 3 years).

Lots of padding on the rollbar and other potential head contact  areas.

Remove any potential sharp edges near the driver.

Remember to take your hands off the wheel just prior to impact with another
object.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128