Re: Head and Neck Safety Devices

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head and Neck Safety Devices
From: "Rick Fisk" <refisk@chartermi.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:03:47 -0400
One thing that has me wondering about the HANS device is that when you buy
one the HANS sales rep drills mounting holes in your helmet for the mounting
devices.  What do these holes do to the integrity of your helmet shell?  And
what does the manufacturer of your helmet have to say about these holes?
I've always been told that you should never do anything to the shell of your
helmet and that after even a minor incident the integrity of the shell
should be checked before the helmet is used again.

I asked this same question on another list and was told that the part of the
helmet where the holes are drilled isn't included in the Snell and other
tests.  Maybe so, but I still wonder about the integrity of the shell.

G-Force also markets a head restraint device, the SRS-1 Helmet Restraint for
$299.99.  Their helmets come with the mounting devices already installed.

http://www.gforce.com/products/srs1/srs1.html

Rick