2000-register

Re: How is the MK1 restoration going?

To: watson <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Re: How is the MK1 restoration going?
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:15:33 +0200 (MET DST)
On Sat, 20 May 2000, you wrote:

> My PI has adjustable Koni's at the rear, I haven't been able to try them
> out 'yet'!!, so I can't tell you what they're like as a fast-road spec
> shock. My dad's 2000 has non-adjustable Monroes which are on the soft side
> and don't feel that good when it comes to the bends. And another good thing
> about the Koni's is that they can be reconditioned.

When one of my Girling (if memory serves me correctly) rear dampers broke
due to fatigue in the lower mounting, I replaced them with a set of KYB
dampers. These dampers were noticeably softer than the well used
Girlings, and in my opinion totally unsuitable for a fast road car.

As much as I hate throwing away things [1], I must admit that I after a
short period just discarded the KYBs, and got a set of red Konis. And never
looked back.

The Konis benefit from being stiffened up a couple of clicks, propably
more if you have non-standard harder springs.

Egil

[1] It might be that I just hate throwing old things, not new ;-)
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway