2000-register

Re: Little activity here... :-(

To: Asgeir Nesoen <asgeir.nesoen@hf.uio.no>
Subject: Re: Little activity here... :-(
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:41:12 +0200 (MET DST)
On Tue, 16 May 2000, you wrote:

> I bought reconditioned suspension arms from Rimmer brothers last
> summer, and they are now ruined after only 9 month's use...

Seems like Rimmer Bros might be using the same rubber material for the
bushes that they use for their sun visor clips! Anyone seen them? They
are made of such a soft rubber compound that they are useless for their
purpose: keeping the sun visors in place. Being black, they don't even
look the part.

> The bushes were
> not of the PolyUrethane type, regrettably.

Bushes made of the correct rubber material should last for many, many
years.

Perhaps buying PUR is worthwhile, if nothing else than as a guarantee of
quality.?

> Seems like inferior quality to me.

Definitely.

Would it be an idea to build up a little database of comments for various
parts for our cars. The range of quality seems to range from excellent to
rubbish. Even on safety critical items: I've bought track rod ends that
were completely worn out after less than a year.

Buying via mail order, it is very difficult judging quality beforehand.

I do not envision any sort of "official" judgment, just a list of
comments for each item.

Perhaps a simple judgment scale from "Excellent", through "Useable for
occasional use vehicle" to "Rubbish" would suffice?

The comments entered for the various parts would have to include:

        Full name (important)
        When bought
        From where, or what brand
        Any big Triumph business association

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway