Re: TR6: PI Metering Unit adjustment question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6: PI Metering Unit adjustment question
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 07:17:22 +1200
Hi Tony,

I don't think I would be too worried about it. Probably it means you will
have a rich idle. Worst case it will be like running around with the cold
start out.If you are running a standard cam, this may cause problems when
starting. If you are running a lumpy cam, the idle will be rich anyway.

I've found the best way is to set it up on the bench as you have done, and
then try and find a friendly garage who have a dyno and gas analyser so you
can fine tune it.  I'll try and dig out some dyno info tonight when I get
home, but from memory, %CO should be around 1.5 - 2% at idle.

Hope this is helpful...

Bernard Robbins
2500 PI (soon to be EFI)
TR6 PI (still in disgrace)

At 19:00 4/06/00 -0400, Tony Gordon wrote:
>Have just finished rebuilding a Lucas PI metering unit (largely replacing
>the old seals with U/L type).  I then checked the unit against the specs
>given in the (absolutely invaluable) Lucas PI Training Manual, and I find
>that at the higher vaccuum settings (12 and 20 in/hg) the gap between the
>rollers and the plunger is too big (for example, instead of .003 at 20"/hg,
>I'm getting .008").
>
>Now, is this a problem, and if so, any idea what kind?  My guess that this
>is going to affect idle (rather than WOT -- the settings at low vac are all
>on the money), but I don't know if it is worth worrying about.
>
>Second: if it is a problem, any idea of which of the 5 things that can be
>adjusted will bring just this one into spec?  The manual doesn't really
>show which adjustement affects just the higher vac (upper roller track
>travel) settings, and I am not going to even think about trial and error
>... with my luck, it'd end up like the old kitchen table that rocks, I'd
>take a bit off here and there until I was eating off the floor, although in
>this case it would be off at all settings rather than 2 of them!!!
>
>TIA
>
>Tony Gordon
>72 TR6 (later PI system)

Regards