Re: High RPM miss

To: kkrice@earthlink.net (Kyle K. Rice)
Subject: Re: High RPM miss
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:13:16 -0700 (PDT)
Kyle---More info would be needed to narrow down the source of the miss
you refer too.  I'd check/change the simplest and quickest parts first.
Spark plugs and ignition wires.  Recheck all the connections on the
Crane unit. Try to pin point a particular rpm where the "miss" is most
likely to occur, and try to duplicate this rpm when you're in a position
to check current running thru the 12 volt wire to the coil, and again
from the coil to the back of the distributor. A simple test light can
tell you a lot. (If the blinks occur at the same time you feel or hear
the miss, your getting warm!)

The last places to look are leaks in intake or exhaust manifolds, or
vacuum hoses. These items usually don't show up as a miss at the higher
rpm's you describe. If the miss occurs at, say 3,000 rpm, then runs
clean again farther up the rpm band without changing throttle position,
I wouldn't look to carburetion as the problem either.
These "misses" can be pesky at times, and annoying, to be sure. I always
like to do-check-change one item at a time to know what the real culprit
was, so I don't throw away baskets of good parts.  Hang in there. You
could own a car that takes a $30,000 piece of equipment to de-code.

Dick Taylor