Re: High RPM miss

To: "Kyle K. Rice" <kkrice@earthlink.net>, 6 pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High RPM miss
From: Dale Morgan <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 17:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
  Kyle

  First thing you need to do when you start to work on
this again is to write down each step that you check
and what the results were.  This way you can put
things back to the way they were before you made the
adjustment.

  Like Dick said in his e-mail, stay with the
electrical side of things before you move on to
vacuum, fuel, and carburetion.  Remember to write each
step that you do down so you know what you did and the
results.

  One of your steps should be to by-pass all the fuel
traps to see if they may be a problem for the vacuum
system.  Take a reading with a vacuum gauge at the
distributor and at the carbs to see what you read
before you remove the traps and again after.  Remember
to write down your findings.

  The only time fuel is a problem is if it has dirt or
water in it.  If you have good pressure at the carbs,
check it though the rpm range, then all is well.  The
only thing in this area that may be a source for a
miss is if the fuel pump is weak and can't keep up
with demand.  Since you also had your carbs rebuilt
are you sure that they are adjusted correctly?  Did
you replace the fuel filter?

  Since you have had the engine rebuilt, check the
timing again. It also could be a source for the rough
idle. As for the white smoke have you broke in the
engine like Dick described a few weeks ago?  If your
rings have not sit ted yet then this could cause the
smoke.

  There are a lot of things that could cause this
problem, especially after an d engine rebuild.  It
will be a step by step process to find the solution.

  Dale