Re: High RPM miss

To: 6 pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High RPM miss
From: Dale Morgan <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:58:14 -0700 (PDT)
  Kyle

  After reading this a couple of times, and Dick's
reply, two things come to mind.

  First: You stated that you have a Crane ignition
system in your car. In my case there were two optic
window rotors. One with a curved opening and the other
with a straight limited opening.  If you have used the
curved one it gives a spark bounce at various rpm's.
This may be your problem, if you have use this rotor.
Change to the straight one and see if there is a
difference.

  Second: It also sound like it could be a vacuum
leak.  If you have a can of ether, with a tube nozzle
from a can of WD-40, that you can direct the spray to
areas such as the intake manifold and the carb
mounting points to see if there is an increase in
engine rpm's.  Have a fire extinguisher available and
do not do this with a hot motor.

  Like Dick said try the simple things first before
you go buying a bunch of parts.  Keep the list posted
on your progress.

  Dale

--- "Kyle K. Rice" <kkrice@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I have a high rpm miss on my 74 TR6.  At about 45-70
> mph, there is a slight
> miss which occures at random times but occures
> often.  I am not sure where
> to start looking.  Could this be caused by the
> carbs, ignition, exaust leak,
> intake leak, vacume leak, electrical, timing, ???
> The engine is newly
> rebuilt as are the carbs.  It passed smog in
> California with flying colors.
> The car has the following:
>
> crane elec. ignition
> sport exaust
> Good Parts ram air air cleaner
> all new hoses including vacume hoses
> British Parts Nortwest mild cam
> Rebuilt head with valve seals
>
> The car starts fine with the choke on but will not
> idle with out me pressing
> on the gas pedal.  Once it warms up, it idles around
> 800 but kind of rough.
>
> Can anyone give some insight on the possible cause
> and cure.
>
> Thanks Kyle
>
> Kyle Rice
> kkrice@earthlink.net