Re: what should I do?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what should I do?
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:30:50 -0700 (PDT)
Ryan,

Don't pull the OD unit off, whatever you do!! Putting it back on the
gearbox afterwards is not a simple feat by any means.  It took me a few
hours of cursing and swearing along with three helpers (Dad, brother
and friend) to get it back on.  You have to line up several things,
while retaining eight springs in their positions, and line up an oil
pump drive on a cam (neither of which you can see) using a piece of
wire which you must remove once the unit is assembled.  Not easy by any
means.  I would just drain and refill the oil.  Also, there's a large
brass plug on the bottom of A types which I believe you can remove to
replace some sort of filter.  After that, just throw it in the car and
pray that everything works.  I got an OD unit with gbox for $400 a few
years ago, and it worked great for years, before my overenthusiastic
abuse (read: drag racing my high school budies) broke it.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6