RE: what should I do?

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: what should I do?
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:41:42 -0600

Although it is a pain to separate the OD from the gearbox, it is also a
might big pain to remove the gearbox from the car. Thus it makes sense IMO
to test the OD prior to installing the gearbox (assuming you are confident
the gearbox itself works fine).

One way to bench test the OD is with a 1/2" drill connected to the input
shaft to turn the gearbox. Once up to a sufficient speed, power the OD
solenoid and see if the speed of the output shaft decreases.

A more sophisticated method is described below. Note: this is courtesy of
Brian Schlorff who runs a shop called Power British -- very knowledgeable
Triumph person.

< start of Brian's instructions >

Peter, after a rebuild, we run transmissions and overdrives on a break-in
cycle before we reinstall them.  I think this gives the units a longer life,
and it allows us to check for any leaking seals and correct them before the
customer gets his car back.

The device is rather simple.  It is an engine stand that I use toward the
end of the trans. reassembly.  The bell housing mounts to the stand in the
normal manner using the arms on the head of the stand.  Below the upright,
we have another horizontal beam mounted so it is free to pivot up and down.
On the loose end is a bracket that holds a 1/2hp electric motor such that it
has some telescopic ability to account for different transmissions.  We then
add a pulley to the transmission's rear flange and loop a belt between the
motor and the transmission pulley.  A counterweight acts to tension the
belt.  Be sure to set up your motor to run the 'box in the proper direction.
On a fresh transmission we run it for 8 hours in each gear for a total of 40
hours run time, starting with neutral and then going to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and
1st is done last since 1st puts the hardest load on the input bearing.
After that, we drain the oil and refill and it is ready for installation.
The overdrive can easily be checked throughout the breaking by connecting a
battery and jumper wires on the
solenoid and top cover switches.

My opinion is that running it like this with no drivetrain load allows the
bearings to bed in better and everything just seems to last longer than just
shocking it into service right away.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars

< end of Brian's instructions >

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO