Re: what should I do?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what should I do?
From: Btp44@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:00:00 EDT
Ryan-Decisions, decisions.  You can install the OD trans. as is, trust the
previous owner, and hope for the best. If funds are short and you aren't
planning a coast to coast run, it might work.  If you decide to disassembled
the trans to inspect the countershaft&bearings, you have pretty much
committed to rebuilding it.  By that I mean that as long as you have it
apart, you might as well replace bearings, seals, and synchros, in other
words a TRF rebuild kit for about $200+.  As far as the OD, they are probably
more trouble free than the main box, but require some special tools, most of
which can be made, if you decide to disassemble it.  I have never found it to
be that difficult to refit the trans to the OD unit.  If you decide not to
disassemble the trans, you are correct in replacing the seals, cleaning the
filter, and changing the oil.  Needless to say, check or replace the clutch,
fork, and fork pin too.  Berry