Re: Running Question / Electrical

To: kmr@pil.net (Kai M. Radicke)
Subject: Re: Running Question / Electrical
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:12:30 -0700 (PDT)
Kai---You may have voltage when testing the wire out of the harness to
the coil + but under the rigors of the road, I'd bet there's a short in
this wire. The fact that the engine stops running when releasing the key
from the start position is clue #1. Then connecting another lead to the
coil keeps the engine running, you say, sort of proves that the original
wire is not reliable. It must have lost its insulation somewhere, and is
going to ground. Try reconnecting the volt meter to this wire and move
it around. See if you can make it lose value. If it does, I'd start
right where this wire comes out of the harness, by the alternator, and
work back from there. (I don't think you'll have to go far.)

If you need the car to drive before locating the break, keep this (black
and white) wire isolated, and connect a short jumper from an ignition
controlled fuse terminal to the coil + terminal. That way the engine can
be started and stopped from the key.

Let us know the outcome!

Dick Taylor