Re: Running Question / Electrical

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Running Question / Electrical
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:00:54 +1200
HI Kai,

Sounds like you may have a high resistance joint somewhere around the
ballast resistor connections.

Check all your connections to the ballast resistor. If you have a meter, do
a quick resistance check of the ballast resistor (I think from memory it
should be about 1 - 1.5 Ohms).

Just to confirm the ballast resistor is the problem, place a short across
the two terminal of the resistor. This will prove whether the problem is in
the ballast resistor or elsewhere in the wiring.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers
Bernard

'71 2500 PI
'73 TR6 PI

At 19:04 22/06/00 -0400, you wrote:
>The seasonal running issues with the TR-6 have begun!
>
>Today's wonderful problem is that the car will start with the key in the III
>position, and as soon as the key is released into the II position the car
>shuts off.  However, by passing the ballast resister and heading straight
>from the positive battery terminal the positive terminal of the coil allows
>the car to run fine.
>
>The weird thing is that I am getting 11.50-11.95V to the coil from the
>positive lead from the harness, if I reconnect this while running under the
>bypass lead (battery direct to coil), and then remove the bypass lead (still
>while running).... it stalls.
>
>Note: it made it home under it's own power before this problem arose, but
>the family member who was driving it had mentioned momentary losses of all
>power while at speed... with the power promptly resuming after a few
>seconds.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--