Running Question / Electrical

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Running Question / Electrical
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:04:52 -0400
The seasonal running issues with the TR-6 have begun!

Today's wonderful problem is that the car will start with the key in the III
position, and as soon as the key is released into the II position the car
shuts off.  However, by passing the ballast resister and heading straight
from the positive battery terminal the positive terminal of the coil allows
the car to run fine.

The weird thing is that I am getting 11.50-11.95V to the coil from the
positive lead from the harness, if I reconnect this while running under the
bypass lead (battery direct to coil), and then remove the bypass lead (still
while running).... it stalls.

Note: it made it home under it's own power before this problem arose, but
the family member who was driving it had mentioned momentary losses of all
power while at speed... with the power promptly resuming after a few
seconds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--