Leaking fuel pump

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking fuel pump
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:12:45 -0500
Ever since I installed my current engine, I've had an oil leak from the fuel
pump.  Initially, I thought that it was a poorly machined surface on the
fuel pump body.  I have disassembled the pump and flattened the mating
surface (emery paper on the steel deck of my table saw).  I also rebuilt the
pump internals.  It still leaks.

I called the TRF tech line and Dave suggested that I might have excessive
crankcase pressure.  Today I did a compression test and all cylinders were
at 195-200 psi (engine was not really very warm).  With compression like
this I don't think I bleeding any air into the crankcase.

So my problem remains.  The leak seems to be coming from the area where the
hand pump connects.  As I recall from the rebuild, the pivot rod does not
have any o-rings or seals between the oil galley in the bottom of the pump
and the outside of the body.  Could it be that this pivot rod has worn
enough to leak?

TIA,
Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250