RE: Differential oil seals - easy or hard

To: "'Vsnively@aol.com'" <Vsnively@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Differential oil seals - easy or hard
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:06:51 -0600
Vic, I used a neoprene pinion seal from Chicago Rawhide CR15207
which should be available from Napa and others for about $7, per
information from earlier posts.  Despite the company name the seal is
neoprene!  If the TRF seal is the same, a word of caution.  I had
trouble pressing the seal into the diff because I believe the OD of the
metal shell is slightly larger than is called for.  Since the seal goes
in with the flat portion facing out, it will probably go in ok
initially, but as the flat portion approaches the diff housing, it wont
go any more without great difficulty.  You will need to get more
aggresive with the hammer, but do not use a BFH because the face may get
distorted.  This happened to me, but I stopped when I saw what was
happening. I decided to leave it in and so far is working great after
about 8 months(although only about 2000 miles).  So I was just able to
get the seal flush with the diff housing, but as long as the back edge
of the pinion flange doesnt make contact with the seal  you should be
fine.  Of course, if it isnt a CR seal, this may all be moot anyway.  In
any case, make sure to clean up the pinion flange with emery cloth to
remove any irregularities, otherwise you may need to do it all over
again (BTDT).

John 1976 TR6

Vic wrote:

....The pinion seal has a leather lip. Does anyone know of a
neoprene-lipped
pinion seal ? My leather
seal is leaking again, and....