Help! Gas Leak!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Gas Leak!
From: "James Tabor" <jattr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:00:00 +0000
Ahhh, a beautiful day here in the mid atlantic DC area.
decided it was perfect for the TR and I have neglected driving it long
enough.
I have a fairly long commute and when I was almost to work I was
at a stop light (on a slight incline) and got a wif of GAS! And then as I
went around the corner my car sputtered a little. When I got to work and
parked I saw plenty of clear fluid leaking under the radiator area. There
were no obvious areas of leak for the hoses but there was a lot of fluid
under the air filters.
I think what happened is the float is sticking and causing the
carbs to over flow and sending gas out the air filter opening.

Does this sound correct?

Darn! I guess I know what I am doing during lunch and/or after
work. What would cause the float to stick? Should I replace the float and/or
jet?
I hope this at least gets me home. Does this mean I need to
take the float bowl of the bottom? and then proceed to attempt to clean
out? What a stinky job!

I cleaned up the gas as best I could, but boy I hope no one throws a
cigarette down!

Thanks in advance for help.

-James