RE: Rear Window Idea

To: "'michael lunsford'" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Window Idea
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:27:10 -0400
Guess what Mike? Triumph designers were ahead of you there because TR6's
came with male snaps on the back board. That's the reason the window has
two strips with female snaps on them.
They should be located on the first heat weld down from the top (70-76
models) and about .5" from the either edge. The idea is to roll the
window up and snap the tabs to the back board. I've found the small
washers are necessary behind the male snaps to get it to stand proud of
the vinyl covered foam backboard so the female snap will fit over the
male snap. Same as the male snaps located beneath the top hinge to which
the boot cover strips snap.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

The discussion about whether or not to unzip the rear window when
putting the top down (I used to zip mine up as suggested by the manual
but will try it with the window zipped out) reminded me of a rear window
problem I had during a long interstate trip.  Several times on a trip
during which I wished I had AC in my TR6, the unzipped rear window, was
sucked out of the opening and ended up flopping around on the rear boot
lid.  This usually occurred when there was unusual air turbulence such
as passing an 18 wheeler.  This was no big deal since what usually
worked was to put something on the back ledge to keep the window from
flapping around.  However it is a real PIA to get the window back into
the car while driving if you are alone.  My solution, which I'm sure has
occurred to many of you, was to put two boot type snaps on the top edge
at each corner of the window and put corresponding male snaps on the gas
tank board.  If you make this installation I suggest that you find a!
 spot for the male snap on the gas tank board first since you need a
location with a metal brace behind it to secure the snap to the gas tank
board.  You can then locate a corresponding spot on the nylon fabric
securing the zipper to the clear plastic window for the female snap.  It
worked for me but your mileage may vary.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6