RE: A little advice...

To: <Acekraut11@aol.com>
Subject: RE: A little advice...
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:23:40 -0400
I think you've gotten your answer by now judging by the responses.  I
would just follow-up by saying that replacing the rear seal is not a big
deal since you don't need to pull the tranny.  Pulling the tranny is
also not the end of the world, but you'll definitely need a buddy for
the job.

Not sure how handy you are, but at the very least it will help you in
bargaining for the car.  BTW, the leak you mentioned is bigger than most
so it should not be avoided for too long.

My leak is an occasional weep.  Not a big enough deal for me to pull the
tranny again right now.  Actually, I may have two, but one is the
overdrive drain plug which is easy to remove but apparently hard to get
to stop leaking.

Topping off the fluid can be easy or hard.  The reason is that the fill
plug is very hard to access and frequently hard to impossible to remove
if it hasn't been touched lately.  It takes 4 point socket, and if an
eight point socket is used or even worse a pair of vice-grips then you
can round it off very easily (hmm, wonder why I know that).

Hope this helps.  Oh BTW, it is always a good idea to get your some
local Triumph nuts to examine the car with or for you:  they can give
you a second opinion on the car's condition and may pick up on some
things that you won't.

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2