Rough running at idle->1800 RPM when hot

To: "6-pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rough running at idle->1800 RPM when hot
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:19:01 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to track down the possible causes for rough running (random
missing) on my 1972 TR6.

I have changed the following parts: Dist cap, rotor, points, condenser,
plugs, cables.
I have rebuilt both carbs, with new needles, but NOT new parts in the
deceleration area.
Ignition timing has been verified at 35deg of dwell and 4deg ATDC (idle
w/vacuum), around 12deg BTDC (idle no vacuum)
Temp guage during run period hangs about mid to two thirds scale (it's hot
here), oil pressure about 65 at speed (hot) 35 at idle

At present when cold and for first half hour of around town the car runs
very nicely.
After getting totally hot (I can't think of a better way to describe this)
I begin to get a miss at engine RPMs less than 2000.  Over 2000 RPM the
engine runs smooth under almost any condition (up/down hill and level
ground).  I live at 4500 feet, but notice no real problems acclerating
(60/65 mph) up the hill to the summit at 7800 feet.  It works out to 3300
feet up over a 5 mile run.

Additionally the idle RPM seems to move around from a low of about 600 to
a high at about 1200

I am suspicious of the temp compensators mostly because I don't know how
they work.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Steve Hanselman
1972 TR6
tr6@kc4sw.com

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]