Re: Rough running at idle->1800 RPM when hot

To: 6-pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough running at idle->1800 RPM when hot
From: pchalk@senet.com.au
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:10:13 +091800
Sounds a bit like vapourisation if its so heat related. Try shielding yr fuel
lines in the engine bay (wet cloths / alum foil) and see if this helps. ...
could be the cheapest test to identify a solution.

Peter Chalk
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide Sth.Aust

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to track down the possible causes for rough running (random
> missing) on my 1972 TR6.
>
> I have changed the following parts: Dist cap, rotor, points, condenser,
> plugs, cables.
> I have rebuilt both carbs, with new needles, but NOT new parts in the
> deceleration area.
> Ignition timing has been verified at 35deg of dwell and 4deg ATDC (idle
> w/vacuum), around 12deg BTDC (idle no vacuum)
> Temp guage during run period hangs about mid to two thirds scale (it's hot
> here), oil pressure about 65 at speed (hot) 35 at idle
>
> At present when cold and for first half hour of around town the car runs
> very nicely.
> After getting totally hot (I can't think of a better way to describe this)
> I begin to get a miss at engine RPMs less than 2000.  Over 2000 RPM the
> engine runs smooth under almost any condition (up/down hill and level
> ground).  I live at 4500 feet, but notice no real problems acclerating
> (60/65 mph) up the hill to the summit at 7800 feet.  It works out to 3300
> feet up over a 5 mile run.
>
> Additionally the idle RPM seems to move around from a low of about 600 to
> a high at about 1200
>
> I am suspicious of the temp compensators mostly because I don't know how
> they work.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks
> Steve Hanselman
> 1972 TR6
> tr6@kc4sw.com
>
> [demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature
> which had a name of smime.p7s]

This mail sent through SE Net Webmail
http://webmail.senet.com.au