Transmission rebuild or not?

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission rebuild or not?
From: "Rengrave" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 22:54:57 -0400
Dear Listers,

I am about to rebuild my engine, pulled out my transmission yesterday and
began looking through the Roadster Factory Catalog for part prices and I
noticed that they recommend performing a transmission overhaul as a
preventitive maintenance measure. Do you agree?
The kit sells for $219.95 and includes seals, thrust washers, bearings, sync
cups and gaskets.

The transmission seemed to work fine the last time I drove the car four years
ago, the shift was a bit notchey though.

I have owned the car for over 20 years and have replaced the clutch/press.
plate/throwout bearing once. The car was off the road for about 10 years, on
the road in 1998 and off the road ever since then because of low oil pressure
due to a worn crank which is why I am performing an engine rebuild.

Should I rebuild the tranny or just replace the oil and gaskets?

Wayne
Westport, MA
1973 TR6 (Mallard)