RE: Transmission rebuild or not?

To: Wayne Ross <rengrave@netzero.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission rebuild or not?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:10:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Wayne Ross wrote:

> Thanks for the advise Bob,

Yer Welcome.

> Can you show me or describe the special tools you have made, or will I be
> able to tell by the pictures in the Bentley Manual when it comes in this
> week.

The Bentley manual has pictures of the tools in the back section.

The most important too that you need for the job is a slide hammer and
adapter to bolt to the input shaft. Without this tool, removing the input
shaft is a PITA, as it is very hard to get it to come out of the case
"square" by hitting it from the inside. It is also not remommended to hot
on any part of the tranny with metal hammers or you will chip the gears
etc and generally ruin things.

The rest of the stuff you need is just needed to make assembly easier.
When you do a few of these trannies, you will learn some tricks.

That having been said, some of the tools can either be fabricated or
purchased. For example, I purchased a "circlip from hell"  CFH) remover
and installer tool from TRF. While you don't _need_ these tools per se, I
used them twic ein the last year ans the time savings was enormous. Not to
mention that I don't need to buy three CFH parts so that I have one left
to actually reassemble the tranny...

I also found that installing the center bearing is a PITA because you need
to install the 3rd/4th synchro hub on the shaft and hold it in place while
you pound on the shaft. This requires a special tool or a fellow
enthusiast to act as the "brave" third hand. At any rate, the tool is a
1-1/8" pipe with a big washer welded to  one end to provide "purchase"
when "pounding"... but when some threads on the mainshaft are exposed, you
can then run the bearing down with a 1/2" impact wrench with little or no
fanfare. This saves a _lot_ of time. And when you are doing your first
tranny job, you'll probably wind up installing/removing the center bearing
a few times!

Other than that, you just need bearing pullers and circlip pliers, maybe a
few more things. I documented this years ago in our local club newsletter,
but that was before there was much stuff on the "web" and there were no
pictures. So, you really should visit the Buckeye Triumphs web site - they
have pictures. If you happen to find someone that's "mirrored" the old JB
Zimmerman site (ironically, it was here at MIT), then my articles were
there for a long time. The first one was about making your own tools to
fix your tranny.

> I plan on buying the rebuild kit from one of the big three. My gearbox has
> some oil leaks from the gasket areas, I think the seals are ok, but while I
> am in the box I figure I would buy the re-build kit and replace seals, sync
> cups, bearings, etc...

The stuff in the TRF RFK kit is adequate, but I would also get a few
"circlips from hell" as well as a full compliment of synchro hub springs
and balls and also the ever so popular anti-rattle spring for the shifter.

I do not bother playing with the shifter forks unless the seals are leaky.
I think replacing those seals is a lot more trouble than it is worthm but
frankly none of the trannies I have worked on have leaked there, and if I
did have a leaky one, I'd replace the cover before delving into that job!

> I have noticed that the Moss kit comes with a shaft and the Roadster Factory
> kit does not.

You will very likely need a layshaft. If the tranny is at all noisey
(think milk-truck sounds) the layshaft bearings are probably shot and the
layshaft is probably scored. I don' think that any tranny I've taken apart
has had a layshaft that was perfect. A word of warning, though -  the
"new" layshafts seem to be a bit softer than the originals, so don't
assume that you will get a net benfit by automatically replacing the
layshaft. But you should probably have one on hand "just in case".

> Do you think I will need this shaft?

I'd get one to have.

> I would like to order the kit now before I take apart the gearbox as you
> suggested, but I am not sure which company I should buy the kit from.
> Is the quality of the components better from TRF?

I buy from everyone. I like the TRF kit because you get a pile of stuff
for one order number. I'm lazy that way. But I've sourced parts from TRF,
Moss as well as Quantum Mechanics and a couple of smaller resellers in my
area.

> Also, when I removed the magnetic drain plug to drain the oil, there was a
> very small piece of steel on it along with some steel splinters, it looks
> like a corner piece, maybe cast. I hope it is not a gear chunk. Maybe a sync
> cup which will be replaced when I buy the rebuild kit. This is another
> reason I want to get into the box and check it out.

If you have some "hair" on the drainplug, that's pretty normal. If you
have chunks, that may be a concern. I'd wait to dismantle time before
making any decisions about the suitability of the tranny for being
rebuilt.

FWIW, you can generally tell if a tranny is worth rebuilding by merely
popping the top end then inspecting the gears and synchro teeth carefully.
If the tranny is nasty, there will be rusty gears and chips in the teeth
etc. If not, the unit is probably worth rebuilding. But looks can be
decieving, the first tranny I rebuilt looked great until I tried getting
the 2nd gear synchro hub off the mainshaft... you see the broken tophat
bushing had led to lots of "collateral damage". That tranny used about
$500 in PARTS! Oh well. I learned how to rebuild trannies out of the
exercise.

> Thanks,
> Wayne Ross

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |