Re: TR6 Track Experience

To: Jim Hurley <hurls@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Track Experience
From: Shawn Loseke <shawn@swo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:58:06 -0700
  A stock TR6, when pushed hard into a corner, tends to push/plow
excessively. This is known as understeer. Like when you turn the wheel
but the car keeps going straight.   It doesn't help matters that the
stock rubber bushings for the semi-trailing arms have a hard time
keeping both rear wheels pointing in the same direction.  Add a less
than smooth surface to the corner and the indecision of the rear end is
compounded. Sometimes leading to sudden oversteer and a hopping
sensation all mixed together. Very unsettling if you have experienced
it.
  If you haven't, you aren't pushing the limits in the stock TR6. Not
that I recommend doing so. (The car can be quite fun when driven within
those limits.) It can be quite scary when encountered. These foibles are
extensively documented in road tests of the day. The tires of the day
weren't so hot either by today's standard. But the suspension was also
pretty squishy when pushed.

That is what I was getting at with a "handful when pushed to the edge",
and "foibles inherent in a stock set up"

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.loseke.net/shawn