Re: TR6 track experiences?

To: <sloseke@engr.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 track experiences?
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 16:56:46 -0400
Shawn Loseke wrote:

> How many of us have spent time on race tracks with their TR6's?

I've run in a number of "baby" to intermediate classes in my nearly-stock
TR6.  That is, limited passing.  I've done this at a number of club days at
Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, and the NASA track out at the old aerodrome at
Holtville.  Generally, I tend to run mid-field, amongst all sorts of cars,
new and old, rice-boys, American iron, other Brit classics, exotics and
dedicated racecars.  Same comments apply to my runs in the parking-lot
autoX.  I am not a competitive racer.

All I can say is that I have a lot of fun.  The worn trailing arm bushings
and stiction on the half-shaft splines do cause a little excitement at
times, but I've never been in a car that I feel so comfortable steering with
the throttle.  I don9t ever seem to be able to go fast enough to really cook
the brakes to the point of major fade.  Some people at the side-lines are
usually short of breath when I come in from a session, presumably from
laughing hysterically.  Rags used to roll and sway a bit with the worn
original suspension, but never to the point that both feet get pushed to the
floor.  That what I love about this car; it just steers so beautifully and
predictably.

I'm looking forward to another 50 rwhp, stiffer chassis, and all the other
stuff I have cooked in the ongoing rebuild.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate in Maryland