Re: Radiators- Recore or Repro?

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Radiators- Recore or Repro?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:27:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Peter Macholdt wrote:

> Hugh,
>
> I just upgraded mine to a 4-row core. The old original is 3 rows and I do
> believe that the higher capacity is allowing me to run cooler (haven't had
> any 95+ days with the new unit, so can't do a proper comparison).

Ummm. Sorry to be a contrarian on this. The original TR6 radiator is a
two-row radiator. The "standard upgrade" is to go to a three-row setup.

> My shop found a 4-row core that has the same fin count and is only slightly
> thicker than stock.

This may be true, I am not an expert on available radiator cores.

> Looks original but cools better (I think).

I can't speak to this. Keep in mind that you don't want the motor running
too cool, too low a temp range is bad for the motor just as too high a
temp range is bad for the motor.

> YMMV,
> Peter
> '68 TR250

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |