Re: Push rods

To: Btp44@aol.com
Subject: Re: Push rods
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:35:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 Btp44@aol.com wrote:

> Mike-The first thing I would suspect if the engine was just rebuilt and
> bronze guides installed, is insufficient clearance between the the valve
> stems & guides. When the engine gets up to operating temp, the valves (mainly
> the exhaust) stick in the guides and bend the pushrods.
> Berry Price

Ditto - I agree. Check the valve guide clearances.

As for the valve lash changing after initial engine run-in, the answer is
"yes, the clearances _will_ change". This is part of the "bedding in" of
the parts.

I usually leave the valve lash rather large on intial startup and then
bring the lash into spec while the engine is running the cam in. You do
get oil all over the engine compartment, but it's pretty easy to clean up.
Plus, when you're done adjusting as the motor warms, you don't have to
touch the lash for untill you run the motor for a few hours.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |