Re: Carbs (and their parts)

To: tr6@kc4sw.com (Stephen Hanselman)
Subject: Re: Carbs (and their parts)
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:32:14 -0700 (PDT)
Steve---I can't say what your problems might be, but the two different
"damper rods" should have no effect on how the engine idles. These are
to control the rise of the air valves, and come into play only during
acceleration. However, the important thing here is to have the  damper
rods the same length, and there circlipped cups at the end the same
length and diameter. This is necessary to have the same drag in air
piston rise, to keep enrichment the same.

I'd go back to where the mixture is controlling the needle placement,
and get both of these the same, starting with both needle casings flush
with the bottom of the air valve (lean mix) and raise both in 1/4 turn
increments, "testing" as you go. Once you get the idle as smooth as
possible, that is all that you can do with the needle adjustment. Then
be sure both air valves raise equally as you accelerate the engine, as
you look into the air intake side of the carbs.  For more details on
this, visit the
www.buckeyetriumph.org.
website, or have a copy of the Haynes ZS cd Carb Workshop Manual handy.

Be sure the ignition system is in order, so as to not muddy these
waters.

Dick