engine rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: engine rebuild
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:01:12 EDT
Hey list,
The season is coming to a close, and it's time for an engine overhaul.  I
have 30lbs oil pressure hot, 90-100lbs compression, and smoke out the back.
I'm considering doing the work in my garage.  I've never done this before,
but I'm hoping the process will be as much fun as the prospect of saving some
bucks and getting some "extras" I might not have been able to afford
otherwise. My question is... I just got the recent TRF catalog.  They price a
rebuild Long Block at $2600.00.  How does this compare to competent shops?
Iv'e gotten estimates between 3K-4K (my removal and reinstall).   What is a
good estimate for a do it yourself job?  "Givens" are reground crank, bored
block, new piston set, bearings everywhere of course, new oil pump, timing
gears.  I hope to regrind my valves, reuse push rods,   new guides, seats,
new lifters ( I want a new fast road cam). I might have the head milled a
little,  fly wheel lightend a little, get a set of headers, upgrade
clutch...The list seems to grow!  I  have no idea what the machine work will
cost.  Any bets?
     I feel pretty competent in putting all this together. It all looks
rather straight forward. I know that there are some particular issues with
these cars, but the "books"  seem to consistantly cover the same issues, and
I've found some fantastic on-line resourses. So what do y'all think?  Can an
average jack-leg mechanic handle this?  I've got the space, the tools, the
time (the beer),  I just need some encouragment and advice... When does TRF
winter parts sale start?
Joe Davis
71 Jasmine TR6
Drakes Branch Va