Re: engine rebuild

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: engine rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT)
Joe---Go for it! I've "done" my engine twice, over its 300,000+ mile
life, with acceptable results. Follow the (Bentley?) manual, keep the
work area clean during reassembly, and use a machine shop that has a rep
for good work do handle those jobs that may be beyond your experience or
tool box. (I shopped out the cylinder rebore, crank grinding and valve
work.)

Give yourself the safety advantage of a good engine stand, hoist, and
jack stands. Lots of clean shop towels, and a decent pan or tank to
clean parts.

 Use "baggies" to keep nuts, bolts, and small parts separate and marked,
as to where they came from. Take photos along the way of disassembly, to
aid later on.
Check off the manual "steps" (in pencil) as you go, so as not to miss
anything.

Have someone take a photo of the smile on your face, as you hear the
engine come to life!

Dick