RE: Squealing throw-out bearings

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor), 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Squealing throw-out bearings
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 20:36:57 -0400
With all this talk about clutches again, I can't help but chime in with my
recent experience. For my rebuild I replaced my B&B components (which worked
perfectly fine) with a kit from BPNW (it was on sale). The bearing was the
Koyo, the pressure plate a flat fingered Sachs.  I also rebushed the bell
housing, used a new cross shaft, new fork pins, and bolted the fork to the
crosshaft. I refaced the fly wheel, cleaned up the output shaft on the tranny
and lubed all the parts correctly.  I have all new hydraulic components as
well.  The clutch squealed the first time a let the pedal out, and has squealed
almost every time since. I'm not sure why the clutch squeals.  Maybe someone
can explain. It seems to me that the squealing should begin as the throw out
bearing makes contact with the fingers and takes up speed to match the rpm of
the clutch components ie: when the pedal is first depressed, not when the
clutch the pedal is let out. In neutral the tranny is silent.  when I press the
clutch in it squeals ever so slightly, and only momentarily when the clutch is
reaches the further most aspect of its travel, and then is silent with the
pedal on the floor.  I get the most squealing when I let the clutch "in" (let
the pedal out).  The pedal feels great, the take up of the drive train is
smooth and tight, no slipping.  Is this something to be concerned about?  Am I
going to have worn-through fingers in 10,000 miles? Joe Davis