I thought the BELT was the hard part

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: I thought the BELT was the hard part
From: "Scot Montrey" <SMontrey@nam.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:30:22 -0400
Thanks to all who offered advice on replacing my alternator/water pump
belt.  I finally got the new one in by lifting the block a little,
levering the crankshaft pulley back a little, loosening the steering
rack bolts and applying some dish soap.  Still, it was a fingerbuster.

Alas, it may have been for naught, and that's what I need some more
advice on.  I was replacing the belt because I was replacing the
(apparently dying) Lucas alternator with the Bosch unit from the Ford
Fiesta that several listers suggested.  After the belt odyssey, I was
really looking forward to firing her up and seeing that gauge read a
good solid 13.5 volts for the first time since I bought the car six
years ago.  But it was not to be.  The needle almost made it to 13, a
little better than before, but with the lights and heater on dropped
back to 12 and even a little below.  A major bummer.

Here's the pertinent info:  The Lucas alternator that was in the car
when I bought it, according to the receipt I found, had maybe 5,000
miles when it died and left me on the side of the road.  I replaced it
with another Lucas rebuild from TRF; it always struggled and with
perhaps 2,000 miles was starting to dip toward 11 with the lights and
heater on and I thought: ok, this time, I'm not waiting until I'm on the
side of the road, and ordered the Bosch.

Now I'm not sure what to do.  The 3 main connectors on the Bosch matched
the Lucas exactly, and I made sure I had good contacts.  Charging level
seems not to vary much between idling and driving around town (which I
did in vain hope that the needle would climb).  Is it possible that my
ground is bad?  Where exactly DOES it ground (through the tension bar
thing?).  A couple of years ago I went all around the engine bay and
cleaned or replaced every electrical connection I could find, from wire
splices to fuseholders.  Of course, there are plenty I couldn't see or
get to....  Anyway, the only other pertinent info I can think of is that
the Bosch has an unmarked and unexplained blade connector tab with a
bolt and nut, in addition to the tab for a noise suppressor.

Any suggestions, however unorthodox, are more than welcome.  The car
seems to run ok but I'm afraid I'm just going to keep burning out
alternators.