RE: underhood heat

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: RE: underhood heat
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:04:41 -0700
I have a set of SS headers very similar to those you describe. Underhood heat
is pretty high at the moment. This winter I hope to get the headers coated and
build a heat shield. Header wrap can be dangerous on Triumphs. If a float
sticks or you develop a fuel leak at the carbs the header wrap will soak up
the fuel. Not exactly a good thing to have fuel soaked cloth wrapped around a
high heat source. The header wrap will also destroy your headers. I have seen
headers crumble when removed from the head after they have been wrapped in
header wrap.

>===== Original Message From Lizirbydavis@cs.com =====
>I've found a set of used Rimmer Brothers ss headers 3 into one (x2) that will
fit my twin line "sport" system.  I'm not sure if it is worth the effort of
removal and replacement of an intact system just to put on the headers.  Is
engine bay heat a big issue with tubular headers?  Do I need to wrap them?
Ceramic coating?  A heat shield for the carbs? I know that power increases are
negligible at anything other than high RPMs, but their is something inviting
about the idea.  My engine is 9.5:1, 3 angle valve job, non-stock cam.  It
pulls great up to 6000rpms, but I  rarely spend much time up there.  Maybe I
should leave well enough alone and concentrate on handling improvements.  Just
exploring.