Exhaust valve spring "caps"

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust valve spring "caps"
From: YeOldEd@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:45:17 EST
I"ll be as brief as possible.
On my 72, the upper, inner spring cap, (the part that holds the collets in
position), is a forged part. I recently found one of mine to be fractured. Just
enough remained in position to prevent the valve from being dropped and eaten.
An ugly thought, no?
TRF said "back-ordered" of course. My source in Blighty, after a thorough
search, was unable to find replacements. Then he was informed that Triumph,
because of failures, had replaced the 2-piece cap with a 1-piece, similar to
the
intake valve upper cap. He has shipped 6 to me. (I already worry about enough
things on this stressful little darling).
If you have the head off, and you have the 2-piece setup, you might want to
consider changing to the 1-piece. Opinions, anyone?
I'm trying to come up with a tool that I can insert through the plug orifice
to hold the valve in position while I change the caps.
(Check page 31 in the TRF Catalog).

Mike N

CC75088L     The MoneypiTR