Re: Exhaust valve spring "caps"

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <YeOldEd@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust valve spring "caps"
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:13:42 -0500
Mike,

My clever solution to keep the valve from falling into the cylinder is crude,
but easy and very effective.  It works well on single spring valves, not sure
about the double sping ones.

Simply take a rubber band and wrap it many times around the valve stem
(through the spring) and not it until you're comfortable that it is secure.
Then, using the head of a small brad, work the lump of rubber band knot down
the valve stem so it is wedged against the head.  This will solidly keep the
valve in place while you work on the spring, cap, whatever.

When all is reassembled, use the tip of an xacto knife to pop the rubber band,
then fish out the remains with a tweezers or toothpick.

Good luck.

Paul E.
Annandale, VA