Re: sqeaky brakes

To: kendallsemail@yahoo.com (Kendall Larsen)
Subject: Re: sqeaky brakes
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:52:47 -0800 (PST)
Kendall and Ryan---The original pads and shoes that came with my '73 had
brass colored chips in them. They did not squeal. The organic (?)
replacement sets that followed did squeal from time to time, esp. when
cold. After trying all of the different after-market gadgets to stop
this, I ended up installing the semi-metallic pads, direct from Metal
Master, formerly the Repco brand. I think TRF might still carry these or
ones like them. There is absolutely NO squealing with these. I do still
use the steel (anti-squeal) shims that came with the front pads. These
semi-metallic pads have been in for about 80,000 miles and have been
resurfaced once, to even up the thickness. About half the useable pad is
still there. These cost about three times as much as the stock
replacements, but worth it, if you are going to keep the car...but you
will lose the pedestrian warning device!

Dick