brake booster

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: brake booster
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:18:46 EST
How can you tell if the brake booster is beginning to fail?  I've got good
pedal pressure, but with steady pedal pressure with the engine running, I hear
steady "sigh" from what sounds like the booster.  If I hold the pedal down
for 10 seconds or so, the sigh disappears. The pedal doesn't go down at all,
and
the brakes work just fine, although I have just noticed a very slight bit of
brake fluid under the booster.  I can't tell exactly where it is coming from
but,  I have to assume the master cylinder is beginning to fail, so I will be
rebuilding it soon.  Should I pull the booster and have it repaired as well?
There is a shop in Ohio listed on the Buckeye site.  The complete rebuild is
$85.00.  I just hate to think about the chiropractic visits that will result
from the removal of the booster.
Joe Davis