head gasket leak

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: head gasket leak
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:22:02 -0500
Hi Folks.In search of a diagnosis for an occasional engine knock, I've
discovered that I have a water leak into the crank case.  I hope just a bad
head gasket. Hopefully the block isn't damaged.  I don't really see any water
in the crank case and the exhaust looks fine (ok, maybe a little dense when I
first start the car), but there is definitely water condensing on the inside of
the valve cover, and I smell antifreeze without any evidence of an external
leak.  When I put pressure on the radiator, the knock becomes very apparent. I
guess water is washing oil off the wall of one of the cylinders?  Is there a
typical place where the gasket is prone to failure?  The car has run
wonderfully for 10,000 miles without a problem.  About 5,000 miles ago, after I
flushed the coolant, the car developed an air lock and got hot really fast.  I
saw some steam coming out at the head gasket on the dist. side between the 3d
and 4th cylinders, but after I re-torqued the head, the car has run great for
another 5,000 miles.  Now I have a knock when the engine is cold. I've pulled
off the oil pan and all the bearings look fine.  I'm trying to look on the
bright side of things. Maybe I can improve the head since it has to come off
anyway.  Are there any sources specific to the TR6 which discuss porting and
valve train improvements? I think the compression was increased by the PO.
I'll find out when I get the head off. I'm hoping to find a Kastner book in my
stocking.  Thanks Ted Schumaker! Joe Davis