RE: Engine knock

To: <webb@daikin-america.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine knock
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:33:46 -0800
        Pat:

        This could be a variety of things. Some of them quite serious,
others
are nothing to worry about.
        If it is piston slap, then it is nothing to worry about. Piston
slap is usually (but not always) more like a rattle. Properly fitted
cast pistons should not do this, but if you or a DPO fitted forged
pistons, then it is more common. Forged pistons require a looser fit to
allow for the greater expansion of a forging. As the piston warms, it
expands to the proper tolerance. This may be safely ignored for as long
as you can stand to.
        If it is truly coming from the bottom of the engine, then you
have a problem that should be addressed ASAP. Most likely it is a bad
rod bearing, and what you hear is the rod hammering the journal on which
it is riding. The longer you wait, the more likely it is you are looking
at having to drop the crank and have it turned, and refitting oversize
bearings (i.e. a full overhaul). If you catch it early, you might be
able to skate by with a fresh bearing. If it is a rod, the noise will
get steadily worse, and will do so with surprising rapidity.
        Very few things fix themselves, and if this is something that
started rather suddenly, you best get it checked.

        Cheers,

        Vance